Why IT Is Responsible for Painful Customer Experiences

A few years ago, a senior executive at the shipping company I worked for took me aside and asked me to look into why our ecommerce website was receiving constant complaints regarding slow and erratic performance.

A few years ago, a senior executive at the shipping company I worked for took me aside and asked me to look into why our ecommerce website was receiving constant complaints regarding slow and erratic performance. His exact words were, “It sucks.” Now, this surprised me, because I had worked in varying capacities on that website and I knew that we had great availability on it, and I said so. He told me to go talk to the call center, which was being inundated by people who couldn’t ship their packages. He was right.

Here is why we were having the problem, and why IT missed that there even was an issue:  Every time a customer shipped a package from the website, hundreds of different systems were involved in completing that one customer interaction.

Since IT tracked only component availability, from its perspective, everything was operating at 99 percent availability. But if there were 100 components involved in the customer interaction, and any one of them had a 1 percent chance of being not available (for isn’t that what we mean by 99 percent availability?), then the chance that something would go wrong somewhere was a near certainty!

This experience made me realize that there needs to be a fundamental shift in how we run IT. We’re so focused on the availability of the individual components that we miss that our customers are having bad experiences.

I’ve just written an eBooklet, If My Availability Is So Good, Why Do My Customers Feel So Bad?, that explores the importance of business service reliability. It addresses how we in IT can use hard mathematics to think more strategically about connecting the reliability and availability of our IT infrastructure to our business and improving our customers’ experiences.

I’m also going to be participating in a #TechViews Tweetchat on business service reliability at 1 p.m. Eastern time on Dec. 17. Please join us in this online discussion by following the hashtag #TechViews on Twitter at that time. I invite you also to download and read the eBooklet.

Simply put, when people talk about the customer experience, that’s not something that is only under the domain of the sales and marketing departments. It’s also our responsibility in IT. We have to understand what we do and how it impacts our customers’ experiences—and we have to help make it better over the long term.

Written by

Tony Davis

Tony Davis is a 23 year veteran of the IT industry with a specialty in…

Published in


View this topic
  • James Holland

    This is great. Hooray for Disney’s imagineers!

    become a new brand in the share market research with its accurate research. Proven
    itself always right whether market is bull or bear. Last week all paid clients
    booked handsome profit in NIFTY, BANKINIFTY & STOCKS. Now for the coming
    week we expect more correction can come in NIFTY as the IRAQ issue is getting
    more tense, If it happens more then you will see a sharp fall in all world marketNSE BSE, STOCK TIPSbecause as we know all world run on
    crude & most of the crude comes from IRAQ. So be ready for a sharp fall so
    sell will be the best strategy for next week also. Traders can make a sell
    position in NIFTY around 7600-7650 with stoploss 7750 for the target of
    7300-7200.One can also make a sell call NIFTY 50 stocks as per NIFTY levels. You
    can also take our two days free trial to check our accuracy. For further updates
    you can visit our website. http://goo.gl/sMgZ7n



  • king lear

    testing comment functionality, please do not publish this

  • Love the personal pic 🙂

    • CAHighlight

      Thank you!

  • Plutora Inc

    This is a good case study. 2.3 sec’s off a login transaction is big.

  • While the analysts were hyping DevOps, I posted the oversight of not including security as part of that discussion as you are highlighting here. Instead of just talking DevOps, it should be DOS (what’s old is new again 🙂 – DevOpsSec. As a previous AppDev person, it’s the app, who’s using it, why and where rather than the device and having the service available.

    As you rightly point, out Security should be baked into the solution.

    Nice Post and Timely!


    • CAHighlight

      Thank you for your feedback Michele. Agreed – security cannot be overlooked. Appreciate your input!

  • Mitesh

    I would love a printed copy

  • Lars Johansson

    I love the idea of BYOID! This makes me choose if I am almost anonymous (with my Hotmail Nicname) or official with identity from an official organisation. My Identity Provider will attach identity with right level of LoA according to the need of the Service provider.

    • CAHighlight

      Thank you for your comment. BYOID has tangible benefits for end users and relying parties but it also has to be weighed in the balance with potential risks and liability concerns. It will be interesting to see how BYOID plays out in the enterprise.